July 20, 2021
LedComm Launches Another Lighting Lawsuit
The LED technology patent holder continues its litigation campaign
LedComm, LLC is a Dallas, TX based company that owns several patents relating to LED technology. Some of the patents currently owned by LedComm were previously assigned to Japanese electronics company Sharp. On Monday July 19, the company filed a patent infringement lawsuit against Westinghouse Lighting Corporation alleging many counts of patent infringement.
LedComm is considered a Non-Practicing Entity (NPE) as they do not manufacture LED products, but seek to license their technology and protect their intellectual property. Over the last 18 months, LedComm has sued a variety of companies that make and sell electronics products including:
- Sengled Optoelectronics Co.
- Westinghouse Lighting Corporation
- Signify North America Corporation
- Walmart Inc.
- Lowe's Companies, Inc
- The Home Depot Inc.
- TP-LINK Technologies Co., Ltd.
- Anker Innovations Limited
The Plaintiff asserts several different patents that are allegedly violated by various Westinghouse products. The claims relate to the methods utilized with LED chips and packages in multiple products.
Fixtures that LedComm claims infringe upon their patents:
- Westinghouse 75-Watt White Integrated LED Flush Mount
- Westinghouse 12-Watt Equivalent Integrated LED Black Dual Motion Sensor Solar Wall Pack Light
- Westinghouse 2-in-1 Spotlight Landscape Wall Lights Outdoor
- Westinghouse SunTube 18 Watt Broad Spectrum LED Indoor Horticultural Fixture
Light sources that LedComm claims infringe upon their patents:
- Westinghouse 7.5-Watt Equivalent S11 LED Light Bulb
- Westinghouse 40-Watt Eq Red Omni A19 LED Party Light Bulb
- Westinghouse 60-Watt Equivalent A19 LED Grow Light Bulb
- Westinghouse 60W Equivalent Bright White T7 Medium Base LED Light Bulb
- Westinghouse 85-Watt Equivalent Bright White R40 Dimmable LED Light Bulb
- Westinghouse 150-Watt Equivalent Omni A21 LED Light Bulb Bright White
- Westinghouse 200-Watt Equivalent Omni A23 LED Light Bulb Bright White
- Westinghouse 65-Watt Equivalent BR30 Flood LED Grow Light Bulb
- Westinghouse Outdoor 48 ft. 24-Light Solar Powered Edison Bulb Color Changing LED String Light
- Westinghouse 60W Equivalent Bright White Omni A19 Dimmable LED Light Bulb
- Westinghouse 60W Equivalent Soft White A19 Omni LED Light Bulb
- Westinghouse 15 Watt (100 Watt Equivalent) PAR38 Flood Outdoor Green LED Light Bulb
- Westinghouse 40-Watt Equivalent Omni A19 Green LED Party Bulb with Medium Base
- Westinghouse 6 Watt (40 Watt Equivalent) Blue Omni A19 LED Party Bulb
- Westinghouse 100W Equivalent Red PAR38 LED Weatherproof Flood Light Bulb
In the Signify lawsuit, which was filed in November 2020, LedComm asserts that multiple products infringe upon thier patents including:
- Halo RA4 SeleCCTable Gimbal Downlight
- Philips 16W LED Tube Light
- Philips 100W LED Bulb
- Philips Dimmable Candle Bulb
- Philips Recessed Retrofit Trim LED Light
LedComm's suit against Signify is still in litigation and is currently scheduled for the following:
- Markman Hearing set for 10/26/2021
- Joinder of Parties due by 12/7/2021
- Amended Pleadings due by 2/15/2022,
- Dispositive/Daubert Motions due by 9/20/2022
- Jury Selection set for 12/19/2022 before Judge Jeffrey C. Manske
- Jury Trial set for 12/19/2022 before Judge Alan D Albright
Signify has strongly denied any and all patent infringement and has filed counterclaims against asking the courts for Declaratory Judgment of Invalidity for the patents asserted by LedComm. Our request for comment from Westinghouse was not immediately returned before publication.
Don’t miss the next big lighting story…
Click here to subscribe to the inside.lighting InfoLetter