October 13, 2021
Fluence Supported Research Identifies Surge in LED Adoption Across All Cannabis Cultivation Stages in Sixth Annual “State of the Cannabis Lighting Market” Report
Produced by Cannabis Business Times, the report notes increased LED implementation amid technology advancements and ongoing education
AUSTIN, Texas -- Fluence by OSRAM (Fluence), a leading global provider of energy-efficient LED lighting solutions for commercial cannabis and food production, today announced the release of the sixth annual “State of the Cannabis Lighting Market” report produced by Cannabis Business Times, a national publication dedicated to the ongoing advancement of legal cannabis cultivators.
The results from this year’s report create another invaluable layer of research supporting the efficacy of LED lighting as a solution for full-cycle cannabis cultivation. The report utilizes data collected from cultivators throughout North America following an in-depth survey by Readex Research, a nationally acclaimed, third-party research organization.
In his opening remarks for the 2021 report, Fluence CEO David Cohen notes, “in recent years, not only have we observed the meteoric rise in LED adoption, but cannabis cultivators in particular are realizing the benefits of LED lighting strategies at each stage of plant production. At Fluence, we are led by science in our exploration of the interaction between light and life to yield a healthier, more sustainable world.”
The report provides a holistic view on the connection between different lighting solutions and plant growth across all stages—propagation, vegetation and flowering—analyzing which solutions note upward trends of adoption by cannabis cultivators and why. Key findings include:
- LED lighting is the top-preferred lighting method among cultivators throughout North America, leading across all categories: propagation, vegetation and flowering.
- LED usage for cannabis cultivation has increased more than 45 percent for all stages of growth since the initial report in 2016.
- Recent surges in LED adoption are partially attributed to the increasing implementation of vertical racks, which saw slight increases across vegetation and flowering.
- 63 percent of growers who are not currently using LEDs during flowering are considering implementing the solutions in the next 12 months.
- Survey results reported 60 percent of participants indicated that lighting fixture dimming capabilities are as “important” or “very important” to their cultivation operations.
- 15 percent of cultivators said managing energy costs is the greatest challenge when considering LED lighting.
“[Under LEDs] we were seeing buds that were tighter and terpene tests that were higher than what we’d see with traditional HPS lights,” said Matt LaBrier, chief operations officer at Proper Cannabis. “We knew that if we were going to build a facility and consider it state-of-the-art, HPS and a single-tiered system was out of the question.” He continued, “there are huge advances being made with LEDs. As power becomes more of a regulator in the indoor farming space and farmers educate themselves, everyone is going to go to LED in vertical farming.”
The report includes a comprehensive overview into lighting trends in cannabis cultivation, including conversations with cannabis cultivators and thought leaders throughout North America from organizations such as Texas Original Compassionate Cultivation (TOCC), Fog City Farms, Resource Innovation Institute (RII), Columbia Care and more. View the full report on Fluence’s website, or in Cannabis Business Times’ November issue. For more information on Fluence, visit www.fluence.science.
About Fluence by OSRAM
Fluence Bioengineering, Inc., a wholly-owned subsidiary of OSRAM, creates powerful and energy-efficient LED lighting solutions for commercial crop production and research applications. Fluence is a leading LED lighting supplier in the global cannabis market and is committed to enabling more efficient crop production with the world’s top vertical farms and greenhouse produce growers. Fluence global headquarters are based in Austin, Texas, with its EMEA headquarters in Rotterdam, Netherlands. For more information about Fluence, visit www.fluence.science.
Don’t miss the next big lighting story…
Click here to subscribe to the inside.lighting InfoLetter