UV Marketer Faces Class Action Lawsuit
Our advocacy for responsible UV Disinfection Lighting continues:
For $79.99 anyone with internet access and a credit card could purchase the “World's 1st UV Light Sanitizer Wand”
- 1,000,000 Units Sold in the U.S
- Rated By 4.9/5 by 24,697 Happy Customers
- FDA Approved
- Donating $1 to the American Red Cross for each unit sold
- This offer may not be available if you leave this page. 7 Units Left!
The company advertising the product, UV Sanitizer USA LLC, is headquartered in a 1-bedroom apartment in Irvine, California. And now the company is also the Defendant in a class action lawsuit.
The suit, filed by New York resident Sheryl Garbus, alleges the following:
- Deceptive Claims About the Effectiveness of the Product: The Plaintiff challenges the claimed effectiveness of killing “99.9% of viruses, bacteria, germs and molds”
- Deceptive Safety Claims and Omissions: States that the 253.7nm wavelength product is “a human health hazard, causing skin cancer, and cataracts.”
- Defendant’s Representations and Omissions Have Caused Injury to Plaintiffs: There is no claim of the UV light causing physical harm any customers. The damages relate to buying the product from UV Sanitizer USA that is based on false claims and deceptive advertising.
We have more questions than answers about the lawsuit at this time:
- Is the case strong enough to merit a class action?
- Does UV Sanitizer USA have the resources to defend and potentially pay damages of a long, expensive lawsuit?
- Assuming the claims of 1,000,000 units sold are false, did the company sell enough of the units to make the class action a worthwhile pursuit by the Plaintiff’s law firm? Perhaps a settlement is the desired outcome.
We will monitor the progress of this case and hope that marketers of misleading consumer UV products take notice. The irresponsibly-advertised room UV sanitizer that inside.lighting first highlighted in June, and again in September, is still listed for sale on Amazon.com.
Our email to the Plaintiff's attorney 3 hours before press time was not immediately returned.
Watch the below video from the UV Sanitizer USA website:
Don’t miss the next big lighting story…
Click here to subscribe to the inside.lighting InfoLetter