VIDEO: IALD International Lighting Design Awards
On June 18, 2020, the IALD International Lighting Design Awards were streamed live across the globe on YouTube and Facebook Live.
In case you missed the live event, you can watch the award show here.
Congratulations to all of the designers and firms who worked on these amazing projects.
IALD PRESS RELEASE:
CHICAGO, IL -- Luminaries of the lighting profession gathered online for the first time to honor the winners of the 37th Annual International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD) International Lighting Design Awards, presented by Cooper Lighting Solutions, the longest running and one of the most prestigious lighting design awards programs in existence. Twenty-one projects were on display from 8 countries—including exteriors, interiors, universities, museums, retail, and places of worship. This year’s winners represent some of the most innovative and inspiring architectural lighting design work found anywhere in the world.
IALD Awards Co-Chair Morgan Gabler, IALD, commented, “Every year we see an increase in the quality of entries and this year is certainly no different. Our seven-member panel of judges evaluate each project submission for demonstration of excellence across ten distinct areas in a rigorous and blind process.” IALD Award Co-Chair Mirjam Roos, IALD, added, “Projects recognized go beyond distinction in architectural lighting—we honor exceptional designs that evoke emotional responses, transform spaces, inspire awe, and bring real benefits to end users.”
The highest point score winner across all entries, in addition to receiving an Award of Excellence for their project, received the IALD Radiance Award for Excellence in Lighting Design, the highest honor in architectural lighting design. This year, the IALD Radiance Award for Excellence in Lighting Design award goes to Arup UK for The University of Sheffield Concourse in Sheffield, England UK.
Radiance Award | The University of Sheffield Concourse | Sheffield, England UK | Arup UK | Photo © Midi Photography/Arup
The IALD Awards of Excellence are as follows:
- The Keller Center - University of Chicago Harris School of Public Policy | Chicago, IL USA | AKLD Lighting Design, Ltd.
- Kistefos - The Twist | Jevnaker, Norway | Light Bureau
- Re-Lighting of Interior of Norwich Cathedral | Norwich, England UK | Speirs + Major
- Royal Opera House | London, England UK | Studio Fractal
- Tennessee State Museum | Nashville, TN USA | HGA
- The University of Sheffield Concourse | Sheffield, England UK | Arup UK
- Vancouver Waterfront Park Grant Street Pier and Plaza | Vancouver, WA USA | Fisher Marantz Stone
The IALD Awards of Merit are as follows:
- 160 Spear Street | San Francisco, CA USA | PritchardPeck Lighting
- Free Library of Philadelphia | Philadelphia, PA USA | Lam Partners
- Green Jadeite | Kaohsiung City | Taiwan (ROC) | Art Light Design Consultants, Inc.
- H&M Flagship Store Façade Lighting | Oslo, Norway | ZENISK AS
- International Presbyterian Church | Ealing, England UK | 18 Degrees
- La Vie Ltd. Wine & Spirits Merchant | Taipei, Taiwan (ROC) | J.Y. Lighting Design
- Microsoft Buildings 121 & 122 | Redmond, WA USA | Dark Light Design
- Nihombashi Mitsukoshi | Tokyo, Japan | Lighting Planners Associates
- RH New York | New York, NY USA | Sean O’Connor Lighting
- Shanghai Waterfront – 25 Landmarks | Shanghai, China | Overall Project Design Fisher Marantz Stone, in collaboration with seven lighting design firms
- Singapore Buddhist Lodge | Singapore | Light Collab
- Zurich Innovation Center Givaudan | Kemptthal, Switzerland | Lightsphere GmbH
The IALD Special Citations are as follows:
- Boston City Hall Renovation | Boston, MA USA | Lam Partners
- Rain | Washington, DC USA | Thurlow Small, Inc.
The IALD is appreciative of our esteemed panel of seven judges for the 2020 IALD International Lighting Design Awards. The judges include five IALD members at various experience levels, including an architect and interior designer: Susanna Antico, IALD, Milan, Italy; Mark Loeffler, IALD, Hamden, CT USA; Kevin Theobald, IALD, Wells-Next-To-The-Sea, UK; Bob Shook, FIALD, Chicago, IL USA; Diane McNabb-Rodriguez, Associate IALD, Charlotte, NC USA; Ed Seiber, Architect, Atlanta, GA USA; and Nolita Ryan, Interior Designer, Sydney Australia.
ABOUT THE INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF LIGHTING DESIGNERS (IALD)
The International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD), established in 1969, is an international organization supporting a network of more than 1,500 lighting design professionals who satisfy its rigorous qualification process. IALD strives to set the global standard for lighting design excellence by promoting the advancement and recognition of professional lighting designers, cultivating the universal acknowledgement and appreciation of the Power of Light in human life. For more information, please visit iald.org.
IALD DIRECTOR, MARKETING + COMMUNICATIONS
PH: +1 312 527 3677
Don’t miss the next big lighting story…
Click here to subscribe to the inside.lighting InfoLetter