Illuminating Engineering Society
NYC or Remote
The Director leads and manages all Society functions related to membership services. The Director is responsible for implementing strategies to provide exceptional member service which include recruitment and retention strategies to increase membership such as programs, special initiatives, and new policies. The Director is responsible for assisting with the development and implementation of a marketing plan for the Society and guides strategy and aligns resources for communications, website, and public relations messages and collateral to consistently articulate the IES mission. This position reports to the Executive Director and is responsible for managing 5 employees.
List of Responsibilities
- Serve as team leader for the seamless integration of membership services, and aligning marketing and communications functions.
- Mentor and be responsible for the website administration and communication team.
- Develop membership plans for the retention of current individual, corporate and organizational members, the growth of existing membership types, and the development of new membership programs. Ensure the coordination, management, tracking, and evaluation of all membership and renewal activities.
- Oversee the development of membership marketing and promotional materials, including applications, welcome kits, certificates, membership cards, and other collateral.
Publicize member events, special programs and service recognition.
Ensure that staff members address member concerns and issues professionally and timely.
- Develop and implement plans for selling and marketing subscriptions to The Lighting LibraryTM.
- Work with the Education Department to leverage and market content that engages audience segments and leads to measurable action.
- Manage IES membership, awards, events, and other volunteer member-based committees.
- Collaborate with consultants to oversee the planning and execution of the Annual Conference, Street and Area Lighting Conference (SALC), Bi-annual Research Symposium and Illumination Awards program.
- Develop, implement, and evaluate the annual communications plan across the Society’s diverse audiences.
- Manage the development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to, newsletters, brochures, and the IES website.
- Ensure the implementation of marketing plans to strengthen existing IES programs.
- Assess member, as well as non-member, needs for growth and expansion. Develop consistent metrics to track the Society’s growth objectives.
- Increase brand awareness, ensure the Society’s mission is clearly communicated, and build relationships with existing members, and new members as well as the lighting community.
- Oversee and implement member’s services with the objective of increasing the value of membership in the society.
- Serve as representative to relevant IES Board committees.
- Lead fundraising initiatives.
Experience and Educational Background
- A Bachelor’s degree in related field; Master’s degree a plus.
- Passion for, and knowledge of, the IES and its’ member constituencies.
- Passion for, and knowledge of, the lighting industry.
- 10-15 years experience in membership services, association management, market and communications, or leading a membership services team is a plus.
- communications, or leading a membership services team is a plus.
Skills and Competencies
- Demonstrated leadership in building and leading teams, optimizing team talents and growing individuals.
- Experience in managing multiple projects and priorities.
- Demonstrated experience in growing membership/customers and strengthening membership/customer retention.
- Flexible and adaptable with proven success in a changing environment.
- Demonstrated organizational, prioritization, decision-making, analytical and problem-solving skills with strong attention to detail and accuracy of data.
- Exceptional organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Experience with database management.
- Effective oral, written and interpersonal communication skills; excellent public speaking ability and leadership for committee meetings.
If you are interested in being considered a candidate for this position, please submit a CV and cover letter to Tim Licitra, IES Executive Director, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply Now »