Lighting Designer:  West Coast or Austin, TX
Tetra Tech’s High Performance Buildings Group brings together the expertise of talented engineers, commissioning agents, and energy analysts from around the world. We offer high-end, sustainable building consulting and MEP engineering services for blue-chip clients across every building sector. Our services include MEP design, Net Zero Energy, lighting design, commissioning, vertical transportation, low voltage, information technologies, security, fire engineering, sustainability consulting, and acoustics. We are Better Together—Powered by Innovation.
Glumac, A Tetra Tech Company, is a leader in Sustainable Design. Our mission is to engineer and commission “green buildings that work.”
We search for genuinely passionate people who thrive in collaborative environments, care deeply about sustainability and want to bring new engineering innovations to building projects. If you also embrace accomplishing this with a diverse team of passionate people, we encourage you to apply.
We are engineers for a sustainable future!
Las Vegas, Nevada
San Francisco, California
San Diego, California
The Glumac Lighting Studio collaborates across all Glumac offices on projects, working with many different clients and design styles providing electrical lighting and day lighting designs to clients at all levels of project participation from design assist to full project design-bid-build involvement. Lighting Designers come from lighting design and architectural backgrounds meaning our projects not only fit the quantitative needs of projects but fit the qualitative and aesthetic design goals.
Sustainable design is at the forefront of all of our lighting design projects. The Glumac Lighting Design Studio takes a broad approach to building performance encompassing occupant experience and resource efficiency. We create aesthetically pleasing, cost-effective and practical solutions that fit within the defined budget. We prioritize the use of energy-efficient technologies and applications, while scrutinizing emerging technologies before recommending them.
Glumac lighting designers are members of the IESNA, IALD, are LEED APs and Lighting Certified (LC) by the National Council on Qualifications for Lighting Professionals. We offer expertise in lighting design and in-depth coordination with other disciplines. Along the way, our designers can provide expressive conceptual sketches and renderings as well as detailed computer models developing the necessary pieces of the design. Lighting designers also coordinate mock-ups, on-site aiming, and controls programming. We look for genuinely passionate people that can thrive in a collaborative environment, care deeply about sustainability and are not afraid of bringing new engineering innovations to building projects.
- Responsible for electric lighting, daylighting and lighting controls design.
- Works with the design team to select appropriate light fixtures for project with respect to cost, performance and aesthetics.
- Manage Clients, lighting project scope, design resources, and deliverables to meet project budget.
- Produces renderings using pictures and software manipulation tools to create conceptual lighting images.
- Hand sketches to show lighting intent, installation methods and overall look.
- Experience in luminaire construction, design, maintenance, efficiency and optical characteristics.
- Experience with the basics of architecture, interior design and landscape architecture and construction.
- Proficient in researching and articulating concepts with white papers, reports, and memos.
- Prepares Energy Code Compliance documentation for the lighting portions of the project.
- Strong verbal, written and graphic communication skills for both internal and external clients.
- Client communication is critical to explain and direct lighting designs with our architectural clients.
- Must constantly coordinate with the Project Manager.
- Prepares design layouts, fixture schedules, specifications, and calculations with minimum supervision.
- Knowledge and understanding of the goals of sustainable design criteria such as LEED, Living Building Challenge, WELL Building Standards, and Biophilia.
- Knowledge in landscaping materials and outdoor environments such as dirt, plants, paving systems, salt water/air, corrosive chemical environments, etc., and how they will interact with all lighting components.
- Understands and designs high demand spaces such as theatre, sports facilities, high-end retail, etc.
- Understanding of the physiology and psychology of the human visual system and designs using their understanding of how it functions with lighting.
- Understanding of the details of every light source and its benefits and drawbacks in almost any given situation.
- Attends national conferences and seminars ranging from electric and daylighting design, to photobiology, to product innovation and sustainable practices.
- Has a working knowledge of major light fixture manufacturers, industry trends in lighting, and continues to grow and keeping up to date in the field.
- Can perform daylighting design including running calculations, shadow studies, considering thermal implications, glare, health impacts, façade details, etc.
- Can balance aesthetic design, energy design, health, psychological benefits, etc., as they relate to each individual project, client, climate, etc.
- Strong comprehension of how lighting integrates with all trades including MEP and architecture by understanding where the various parts are placed and how they will interact and coordinate with each other.
- Responsible for the lighting control intent and control specifications in conjunction with project Electrical Engineer.
- Organizes and facilitates mock-ups with Clients.
- Participates in the quality control review of fellow designers and engineers.
- Nurtures existing Client relationships and proactively pursues opportunities for new business.
Relationship to Others
- Works directly with various project engineers, per assignment.
- Works closely with drafting staff and electrical designers assigned to the project.
- Has a strong relationship to the client, and leads the lighting design effort.
- Keeps current with lighting representatives to know what products are emerging, existing, industry trends, etc.
- Shares knowledge with others by serving as a constant contributor to the Studio, a trainer, a mentor, and a resource.
- Has at least 5-10 years in lighting design.
- Design degree or equivalent in design experience.
- Lighting Certification preferred.
- Expertise utilizing Revit and AutoCAD programs.
- Strong Working knowledge of Microsoft Office.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
- Strong prioritization and time-management skills.
- Knowledge of InDesign, Photoshop, and AGI32
- Experience in the construction industry and/or in-depth knowledge of construction processes.
About Tetra Tech
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. We combine the resources of a global, multibillion-dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in more than 400 locations around the world. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients.
At Tetra Tech, we provide a collaborative environment that supports individual performance, innovation, and creativity. We are proud to offer competitive compensation and benefits. Learn more by visiting http://www.tetratech.com/en/benefits.
For more information on our company, please visit our website at www.glumac.com or www.tetratech.com. To apply, please submit your resume and cover letter on the Careers portion of our website at https://www.glumac.com/careers/#open-positions or www.tetratech.com/careers.
We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Tetra Tech is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. We invite resumes from all interested parties, including but not limited to, women, minorities, veterans and persons with disabilities.
Tetra Tech is a VEVRAA federal contractor and we request priority referral of veterans for available positions.
EOE AA M/F/Vet/Disability - No calls or agencies.